Fires that raze through homes and guts through buildings usually have their origins as follows:
Smoking - Cigarette related fires are attributable to cigarette butts which are not put out properly and thoroughly. This includes having fallen asleep holding a smoldering cigarette and using flammable materials and items as ashtrays.
Candles - Fires that originate from candles start when the flame, caught by a draught leads to the burning of nearby combustible objects like curtains, rugs, papers, etc. Some similar causes of candle related fires are when candles tilt from candle holders which are inappropriate for placing candles on or in.
Electrical - Most fires are caused by failed electrical connections in the form of overtly warming wires and defective fuses. Often electrical fire related incidents start from sparks which do not produce any flames. It is best not to underestimate the risk that comes from electricity even through the wires, plugs and sockets are correctly installed.
To be able to discern the root causes of fire within a home structure, it very informative to know the subsequent causes of fire that originates from room to room:
Bedrooms - Fires which begin inside bedrooms are often due to the improper utilization of electrical devices. The overloading of extension cords, use of electric warmers, electric blankets that were not tested for quality upon released from the factory or manufacturing plant can overload the circuits. During winter season, heaters that are carelessly positioned near flammable materials, clothes and linens generally cause fire.
Kitchen - Of all the rooms within a house, the kitchen is probably the room where most electrical appliances are found. As such it has many fire hazardous elements and materials within in the form of open fire on stove, grease due to cooking, electrical tools and devices for preparing and cooking food. Grease fire that comes from frying pans is quite dangerous since it can cause the entire kitchen to be consumed by fire. The kinds of kitchen fire which are easy to control are the oven fires and dry cooking fires because they are unlikely to cause damage. It is also best to maintain all kitchen appliances well so as not to be a source of fire.
Fireplace and Heating Devices - Heating devices and fireplaces are designed to create heat and could pose as fire risks if they are not correctly maintained. Combustible things around the heater in the form of curtains, clothes or wall paper must be removed and placed at a safe distance. Fireplaces that do not have a screen allow sparks from the fire to fly into the room where it is situated. And that can cause fire once the embers land on items or materials that can easily burn.
Comparatively speaking, fire damage requires doing a very grueling cleanup aside from necessitating the correct tools and equipment to do the restoration procedures. It is recommended that a professional fire damage expert company is hired in order to do the task of cleaning. This is to be able to establish or segregate the items which could be repaired or changed. All items that can be restored will be cleaned and brought back to its pre-fire damage state by professional fire cleaning experts to the best of their ability.
A fire damage restoration procedure will need the correct method of stabilizing toxic and gaseous elements which were unexpectedly exposed due to the fire damage incident. The primary course of action will be to remove the soot and ashes which settled on the property and the other possessions inside the house.
Like any other form of disaster or event, immediate action and correct decision is needed when dealing with a fire damage cleanup. Here are some basic know-hows on what to do in situations where the experts have not yet arrived on the scene:
*Call the insurance company and talk to the insurance adjuster. Inform them of the problem and inquire what the insurance plan you have will cover on the fire damage case.
*Be sure to check the stability to the house or any other structure before proceeding to enter for a preliminary inspection.
*Brush off all soot from curtains, furniture and appliances by using a vacuum cleaner.
* After removing all the loose soot, cover carpets and rugs with clean towels or linens to prevent additional soiling.
* Turn off the electrical main switch.
* Remove all contents of freezers and refrigerators. Clean the insides of said appliances to remove any odor and damaged food items.
* Coat chrome lined utensils, faucets or appliances with a thin coat of Vaseline for protection.
* Wash all house plants with clean running water to removes ashes and soots that landed on them.
*Cheese cloths must be placed over the air registers of all air vents to prevent accumulated retention and emission of ashes all over the place or to other parts of the house.
* It is likewise necessary to replace the filter of the furnace.
* If pets or livestock are present relocate them for the meantime at another safe place until such time that the cleaning and repair activities are still being accomplished
* Do not attempt to wipe or wash blackened walls, ceiling and other porous structural materials since the dirt will only be more deeply ingrained due to the material’s absorbent feature.
* Salvaging of any food items which were exposed to the fire for later consumption must not be done because they were exposed to high temperatures affecting the food’s quality.
* Upholstered furnitures must not be purchased because these types of furniture are hard to clean and restore should fire accidents occur.
* All electrical appliances involved in the fire which were not damaged must first be cleaned and checked before being used again.
* Soiled garments and linens including clothes must not be laundered by the regular dry cleaners since incorrect cleaning and handling will only set stains and odors deep into the fabric.
Most fire incidents happen because of faulty electrical wiring and improper maintenance of electrical equipment as well as appliances. During the hot summer months, the heat wave forces many to use their electric fans and air conditioner fully. And during the winter months the heaters are extremely used. While cooling and heating systems are very beneficial so that the human body could adapt to the changes in the environment temperatures, it is also a must that proper maintenance is done to keep them working well and to function efficiently. Hence, after being used and having them worked overtime, have a licensed electrician looked them over and inspect whether the electrical wires within are still sound. It is also recommended that all circuits, wirings, pugs and sockets are regularly inspected to be able to fix any frayed and exposed electrical wires within the house.
Upon leaving your homes, whether for a short time or for a long time, it is advisable to switch off the main power lever just to be safe and prevent any untoward fire incident during the periods when you are not at home. In a likewise manner, avoid overloading the electrical system of your house by connecting and plugging in many electrical appliances, devices and tools. Overloading can cause short circuits that may lead to the start of fire.
While most incidents of fire are electricity originated, gas leaks that come from natural gas connections within the home may also cause fire. The best thing to do when the gas is not needed or not in use is to turn it off. Gas leaks may be due to punctured gas lines and forgotten knobs which are left open instead of being closed. Regular inspection of pipes supplying gas inside the house should be inspected at regular intervals. Remembering to close knobs or levers connected to the gas must be done by checking it time and again before leaving the house for sometime or before going to sleep.
The best way to better understand fire prevention tips and hazards is to visit your local fire department and ask about such matters. It is better to have concrete knowledge on how to deal with the results of fire accidents and still better to know how to prevent them before they even occur. Losing your home and possessions to fire can be one of the worst situations you may have to deal with. And in case you are purchasing a new home, it would be wise to ask for the electrical plan of your soon home-to-be aside from the floor plan which is usually given and shown to you.
Keeping your home and surroundings neat, clean and tidy is also another way to avoid fire from happening. Just make sure to remove all fire hazard materials within your home and put it out for the next garbage or waste collection day. All flammable materials such as papers or clothes must not be near any electrical lines, switches or plugs. Trimming tree branches that touch electrical wires outside your home is one more way to avert fire. And it is better not to burn leaves or trimmings since the fire may rage out of control. Put them inside trash liners for pickup on garbage collection days or use them for compost for your garden. While it pays to be extra careful it also pays to be able to keep the environment healthy.