More and more lives are at risk, some even end, due to the irresponsible hazardous waste removal methods employed by many people and industries. Hazardous waste removal process not only poses threat to human and animal life, but also to our environment. Before we proceed any further, let us try to evaluate some of the consequences of the hazardous waste removal methods used today.
- Your household items like batteries and paints contain mercury. Mercury can cause toxicity to your kidney. It can also result in skin and eye irritation as well as chest pains and fatigue.
- Your car radiators contain ethylene glycol. This element can cause vomiting, abdominal pain and depression of the central nervous system.
- Commercial cleaners like your dry-cleaning agents and pet stain cleaners contain trichloroethylene. Hazardous waste removal of these items can cause loss of consciousness, decreased alertness, sleepiness, depression of the nervous system, decreased urine flow and anemia.
- Pesticides contain Cyclodienes which can cause symptoms of apprehension as well as convulsions, irritability, dizziness, tremor and disturbed equilibrium. Liver toxicity and permanent kidney damage can also be a consequence of the hazardous waste removal of these items.
- Commercial and industrial manufacturing processes can cause decreased mental ability, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, anemia and weakness. Hazardous waster disposal in factories also affect the peripheral nervous system and other blood-forming mechanisms.
Given all these consequences, there is a big need for us to take the threats of these hazardous waste removal methods seriously. As mentioned above, hazardous waste removal not only destructs human life but also the environment at large. Unfortunately, these hazardous waste removal methods are becoming or has become a part of our everyday life. With the advancement in technology and modernization, a variety of new hazardous wastes are produced and these wastes are not disposed off properly. The only consolation is that these harmful effects can be mitigated. To save you and your family from the horrors of these hazardous wastes, we have identified a number of helpful tips. Some of them are listed below:
- Reduce hazardous waste removal by recycling. You can safely recycle batteries from laptops, cameras, mobile phones and other power tools. Check your local directory for retail stores accommodating toxic waste recycling.
- Shops accepting oil changes also accommodate certain amounts of used motor oil. All you need to do is to get a pan with a grate where you can allow the filter to drain overnight. Include a tight-fitting lid which you will use to store oil from multiple changes.
- Know when and where to recycle. Recycle your car batteries by taking them to sellers. Some dealers accommodate recycling as well. If you cannot find one nearby, search the Internet for more stores engaged in providing this service.
- For solvents, check the website www.earth911.com for their recycling programs. If there is none near your place, you can consult your local EPA office or sanitation department instead. For proper disposal of mercury, you can search for the local-bulb recycling options.
- Antifreeze contain cadmium, chromium and lead. They can be properly disposed to service stations and auto repair shops. Some of these stores accept these toxic waste for recycling.
- At home, always make sure you consume products before purchasing new stocks. Avoid impulsive shopping of consumable goods – whether they fall under the toxic category or not. Make sure that all the food is completely consumed before you head to the grocery store again. This will not only help you to save nature, but will also save you some money.
- Purchase quantities which can be used over a short period of time. Wholesale buying is always a good idea but do not buy more than what you can consume. Otherwise, you will need to deal with the problem of properly disposing your goods. Organic products are not a big problem but toxic items such as unused batteries will have to be given proper attention to avoid hazardous waste removal.
- Store your products away from flames and heat. Some items especially those which contain a high chemical content can react and result in hazardous chemical reaction, when not properly stored. Keep items inside their original containers as often as possible. Then make sure that you follow the required temperature regulations for item storage. Read instructions and storage precautions very carefully.
- Store all products, especially toxic ones, out of children's reach. Kids can become very oblivious about the dangers of these items. Flammable items and equipment should always be kept in a safe and locked storage. Otherwise, your kids can easily get to these products. This not only puts your kids' health at stake, but this might also cause an untimely hazardous waste removal problem.
- Always handle items in your home with care and caution. For things like liquid soaps and detergents, commercial cleaners with ammonia, toilet cleaners and the like, always make sure that you flush these products down your sink (not your septic tank), using plenty of water. Do the same thing with your bleach detergents and other toilet cleaners.
- Hazardous waste disposal can also be aggravated with the improper disposal of putty, grout, latex paints and even cosmetics. For proper disposal, always remove the lids before placing them inside the trash bin. Do not ever mix products containing ammonia with products containing bleach. This increases the chances of toxicity.
- Dispose medical products properly. They have a big potential to seep into your sewage system if they are not disposed properly. For instance, flushing medicine down the toilet can be harmful to bacteria in wastewater treatment plants. To avoid hazardous waste removal of your medicines, make sure that you keep them in their original containers. Take time to add a small amount of water to tablet drugs to discourage unintended usage of the drugs. Always enclose your medicine inside a secondary plastic bag. Doubling the packaging will help prevent breakage of the glass container. Throwing unwrapped pills into the trash bin can result in it's ingestion by kids and animals. Make sure that you keep these item as inaccessible as possible.
- Always arrange garbage inside the trash containers to maximize space. Avoid stuffing your garbage. Instead, take time to beak down plastic containers and boxes. Wrap food waste to help limit odor. If possible, keep all food left-overs refrigerated until garbage collection day comes. This can limit cart odors as well.
- To dispose garbage using an automated collection, make sure that the garbage truck or car is at least three feet away from the garbage piles. Take your garbage out for collection by 7am during the collection day.
- To properly dispose your appliances, place large items such as washing machines and water heaters at the curbside. Make sure that you have secured appliance doors properly Allot one-week time for to carry out all necessary coordination for the collection.
By using the fifteen prevention tips identified above, avoiding hazardous waste removal will not be as difficult as you think. Serious and systematic practice of such activity will help ensure safety, not just for you and for your loved ones but for the environment as well. To make it clearer, humans make use of various toxic items everyday – when we take out food, when we clean our homes, when we bathe our pets, when we remove rust from our cars and so on. Name it, there is a variety of hazardous activities posing threats and dangers not just to human life but to our environment at large. When you take out your ready-to-eat breakfast, fast food chains will serve your food using styrofoam containers. These containers contain chloro flouro carbons (CFC's). CFC's can cause holes to the protective layer of the earth – the ozone layer. This layer protects all living things from the harmful rays of the sun. When this layer is destroyed, everyone will become vulnerable to skin cancer. Not only that, ozone layer destruction also causes intense heat in some parts of the world causing drought as a first-hand consequence and hunger as a second-hand result.
We can save ourselves from the risks of various health problems and from the big possibility of totally losing the world that has given us the opportunity to live so wonderfully and abundantly. A simple deed, including any of the fifteen preventive tips mentioned above will surely help us veer away from the negative effects of hazardous waste removal. Ensure your safety now. Keep these practices in your mind and heart. Instill the right attitude in your kids. It does not matter how small is the deed – what matters most is that you welcomed the possibility of the horrors brought about by hazardous waste removal – horrors which when not properly attended to , could cause your life, your family's lives and our mother nature's life to vanish within the bat of an eyelash. We have to protect and preserve the environment for posterity. So, take the right steps today to enjoy a beautiful life tomorrow.