Carpets and upholsteries make your house look elegant, clean and beautiful. Most people will agree here. However, when we say that regular carpet and upholstery cleaning is necessary for your health, most of you will have no clue why.
Carpet and upholstery may look beautiful and clean from the outside but a closer look will reveal the health hazards that these beautiful things are carrying. This is where carpet and upholstery cleaning becomes a necessity.
Why should I clean my carpet and upholstery?
Carpets are designed to absorb all sorts of contaminants. Whether it is dust mites, pesticides, allergens, grease, oil, sand, soil, food, water, coffee, bacteria and what not. When these contaminants are present in your carpets they will bring down the quality of air in your house. They can lead to allergies, shortness of breath, irritation in the eyes, nose, throat, ears and skin. If you or any other family member is suffering from any respiratory disorders, these contaminants can bring on the symptoms of these disorders.
Besides the health benefits involved in regular cleaning of your carpets, carpet and upholstery cleaning will also help in getting the stains and odor out of your carpets. Stains and odor in your carpets can be due to pets, coffee, tea, water, ketchup, mustard, vomit, rust, blood, urine, paint and quite a few other things. When you hire a professional for carpet and upholstery cleaning, the professional will use various products and solutions to get these stains out from your beautiful and precious carpets. Depending on the odor which your carpet or upholstery is emitting, a professional carpet and upholstery cleaning service will also help in getting it out.
If you have pets in the house, it is more important for you to go for regular carpet and upholstery cleaning. Pets such as dogs tend to shed hair and dander. These can get trapped in the carpet fibers and stick to your sofas and curtains. If not cleaned regularly they can be a major source of allergies to humans.
Regular cleaning of your carpets will also help in maintaining and prolonging the life of your carpets. If they are regularly cleaned, disinfected and protected, the chances are that your carpets will be able to survive for a lifetime or at least till the time you are ready to change them.
Just like it is necessary to clean your carpet, it is also necessary to clean your upholstery. The major damaging element for your upholstery is dust. A lot of dust and dirt gets accumulated on your upholstery. Dust mites tend to stick to these dusty and dirty upholsteries.
Dust mites are probably the most powerful allergens present in your house. They can cause various allergies in the respiratory tract, on your skin and in your eyes. Pregnant and lactating women, the elderly, infants and children and those with poor immunities are especially prone to these allergens sticking to your dirty upholstery. The continuous presence of these allergens at home will lead to constant deterioration in the air quality of your house. Living in a house with consistently deteriorating air quality can lead to serious disorders in its inhabitants.
Carpet and upholstery cleaning will help in removing these allergens from the house. This in turn will improve air quality in the house and be beneficial for the health of its residents.
Besides the health benefits, regular and thorough cleaning of your upholstery will prolong its life. Dirt does not just damage your health, it can also be damaging to the fabric of your upholstery. Dirt and dust tend to age your upholstery. They will cause them to wear and tear very soon. They will make them look old. Therefore, if you want to prolong the life of your furniture and upholstery and make them look fresh, clean and new, you should consider regular carpet and upholstery cleaning.
How do I know its time to get my carpet and upholstery cleaned?
If you or any member of your family is constantly falling ill, has constant colds and coughs, has unexplained itching or is constantly fatigued, the contaminants present in your carpet and upholstery may be the culprit. You should immediately consider hiring a professional for carpet and upholstery cleaning. It can help in getting rid of the bacteria, viruses, fungi and other allergens which may be trapped in your carpet and upholstery.
Can I clean my carpet and upholstery at home? How often should I clean my carpets and upholsteries?
You should regularly clean your carpets and upholstery at home. You should vacuum your carpet and upholstery at least once a week.
However, as a homeowner, you are not always armed with the right knowledge, the right equipment, the right training and the right solutions. Carpet and upholstery cleaning done on your own is not as effective. Make sure that you hire a professional at least once every 6 to 12 months for carpet and upholstery cleaning. Regular deep cleaning involved in carpet and upholstery cleaning will help in removing bacteria, molds, viruses and germs.
How soon you should get your carpets and upholstery cleaned will depend on various factors. If your house is located in an area which is dust-prone, you should consider getting your carpets and upholsteries cleaned frequently.
If there are elderly people, young children and pregnant women staying in the house, carpet and upholstery cleaning should be done frequently.
If you or any other family member is suffering from any respiratory illnesses or has a weak immune system, you should consider carpet and upholstery cleaning more frequently.
Also if your house has been flooded with water and your carpet and upholstery have been extensively damaged with the water, you should not attempt to clean the carpet and upholstery on your own. You should always hire a professional carpet and upholstery cleaning service, especially if the water source is contaminated. Carpets and upholsteries soaked in water are ideal grounds for the growth of bacteria, viruses, molds and mildews. Only a professional will be armed with the knowledge, the equipment and the solutions to restore your carpets and upholsteries.
Similarly, if your carpet and upholstery have been damaged with fire, you should hire a professional for the cleaning and restoration of your carpet and upholstery.
What can I as a homeowner do to maintain my carpet and upholstery?
Here are a few tips which can help you maintain your carpet and upholstery:
1. If there is a wet stain on your carpet or upholstery, try to get it out immediately while it is still wet. Use plain water and a soft white cloth to blot out the wet stain.
2. If you are using a cleaner to remove the spot, follow the directions given on the bottle carefully. If you use too much of a cleaner, it can damage your carpet and upholstery and can also cause its color to fade.
3. If the stain is greasy, sprinkle talcum powder or baking soda on the stain and let it dry. Then use a vacuum to remove it.
4. If the stain is water-soluble, use a detergent solution to wash away the stain. Then dab it with an absorbent towel or paper.
5. Regularly vacuum your carpet and upholstery. This will help in reducing the dirt and debris which tends to so quickly accumulate on them. Use a light and soft brush to get out any dirt and debris which is stuck in the crevices of your carpets and sofas.
6. Flip the cushions on your sofa on a weekly basis. The wear and tear in such a case will be evenly distributed on both sides of the cushions. This will help your furniture look new for a long time.
7. When the carpet and upholstery cleaning contractor has completed the process of cleaning, you should allow the carpets and upholsteries to dry out for at least 24 hours. Do not allow your pets onto the cleaned and wet carpets until they are dry to touch.
8. Use a dehumidifier to keep the humidity less than 50% in the house. This will help prevent the growth of molds, mildews and other germs on your carpet and upholstery.
9. Make sure that your house is well-ventilated. You should allow fresh air to come into the house, if the humidity level outside is low. This will help in better ventilation and help in preventing the growth of biological contaminants on your carpet and upholstery. Improving the air quality in your house and protecting it from deterioration can be achieved by regular carpet and upholstery cleaning.
If you want to prevent your carpet and upholstery from frequent wear and tear, go for regular carpet and upholstery cleaning services. Likewise, hire a carpet and upholstery cleaning service to retain the beauty and elegance of your carpets and furniture.
Regular carpet and upholstery cleaning is not just essential to maintain your carpet but it is also needed to safeguard your family’s health.