Most homeowners don't view puff back as a potential danger to their home. Even worse, they do not even know what a puff back is. The lack of knowledge when it comes to these things will make it harder for people to cope with it once they are faced with the situation. If you are properly informed, then you will know what to do. More often than not, homeowners will hire a contractor to counter the damage. But before we give out tips on how to hire a contractor, let us first discuss what puff back is.
A puff back happens when your oil burner malfunctions, which would lead to the explosion of the internal combustion chambers which would then cause the fumes to puff back to the exhausts all around your house. Sounds scary? It sure is. The particles that puffs back is not entirely dust, but rather oil-based particles which would easily cling to any surface it touches.
Puff back will not only do damage to your property, but it is highly possible that it can cause damage to your health as well. If the puff back is caused by a malfunction in your oil burner, chances are you will be exposed to increased levels of carbon dioxide which can be deadly. If you notice that your family members are experiencing dizziness and nausea during or after the puff back, this means that the carbon dioxide levels in your house may be increasing. Seek medical attention as soon as possible if this persists.
You should never attempt to clean up the damage left by puff back because you may do more damage to your property. The best way to deal with puff back is to hire a contractor to assess the damage and to rectify the same. Contractors are experts who will be well equipped to handle the situation and at the same time they will have proper equipment and training to deal with these situations.
Hiring a contractor would be your best bet to clean up the puff back mess and to restore your property to its original state. Contrary to popular belief, hiring a contractor is a tedious process during which you have to be very careful. Remember that you are entrusting the contractor with your house and money, so it is better to remember the following guidelines when it comes to hiring a contractor to restore your puff back damaged home.
- If you have been working with a contractor for several years and if you have complete confidence on his experience and trustworthiness, then it is okay to contact him whenever you experience a puff back. If you have worked with him for a long time already, he will probably know the design of your house which will make it easier for him to restore it.
- If it is your first time in hiring a contractor, ask your family, neighbors and friends if they can refer someone to do the job for you. Once you have a potential list, make a background check on each contractor and make sure that his license number is still valid.
- If you are looking for a new contractor, make a list of all the qualities that you want. This will be a good starting point in your search for a contractor. Also, this list would enable you to shorten the list of potential contractors to include the ones who will match your requirements only.
- If you are not familiar with the contractor, ask him to give you a list of references. Contact these references so that you will have a better idea of his experience and expertise. Though this task may be too taxing for you, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- If you are looking for a contractor on the Internet, make sure that there is a valid contact number where the contractor can be contacted outside the web. This will prove the authenticity of the contractor. You can also use the Internet to research the best contractor in and around your area. Chances are, there is an online community or public forum discussing contractors so take time to visit these sites and get feedback.
- Before you start with the actual restoration of your house, have the contractor sign a written contract first and make sure that both parties have an understanding of what they are signing. This will enable both parties to be protected if something goes wrong. The contract will also be a security for the injured party, if ever the other party fails to honor the signed contract.
- Do not just select the lowest priced contractor. Your list of potential contractors should be able to provide you with an estimate of how much the project or renovation might cost. Don’t just settle for the lowest priced estimate. Examine the project cost and determine if the products are of high quality. Make sure that their estimates are well calculated and accurate.
- Hire contractors who already have a good and solid experience of at least 5 years in the industry. Experienced contractors may be more expensive , but their experience will produce quality work which will definitely outweigh the costs incurred.
- You must also be able to verify the insurance of your contractor. This is very important and useful in instances where something may happen to your contractor while he is in your premises. His insurance will act as a security that will make you a non-victim of any lawsuits that might surface later. Check to make sure that he is covered by Workman’s Compensation Insurance, which would cover you if the worker is injured in your property; General Liability Insurance, which would protect you and your home if the contractor damages anything in your house and Automobile Insurance which will protect you if the contractor’s automobile causes damage to any vehicle in your property.
- Make a concrete plan on what you want to be done so that when the project starts, it will run smoothly without any kind of delay. If you are undecided, it can cost you more.
Hiring Contractors to Fight Puff Back
- Make sure that the potential contractor is offering the right service to counter puff back. As a tip, most restoration companies employ fire damage restoration to fight back.
- Before doing anything, your contractor should check the cause of the puff back first and eliminate it. He can check the oil burner or furnace and repair or replace it. Eliminating the cause of the problem is the first step because even if the contractor cleans and restores your property, if the source of the problem is not detected, all efforts will be in vain.
- You should also listen to the plan of your contractor; ask for a time line in which he will be able to complete the entire restoration of your property after the puff back damage.
- If the puff back damage is extensive, it is best to hire a contractor who can also act as a designer so that he can remodel and redesign the damaged part of your house.
- It is better to hire a contractor who specializes on puff back restoration. He will definitely have the right experience to counter the damages that have been produced by the puff back.
- If they are dealing with puff back, contractors have specialized equipment that they will use to clean up and restore your property. If you want to cut down on electricity costs of these equipment, make sure that the equipment they will be using are energy savers.
- Remember to keep track of costs. If it is possible, talk to your contractor about your targeted budget before he begins restoring your home from puff back. The whole project of restoring your house after puff back damage should be within your budget. Oversee all the expenses, you should first approve the expense report before he can go out and purchase equipment or materials for the renovation.
The most important qualifications when it comes to finding a contractor is experience and a high level of trustworthiness. If he has good experience, he will definitely know how to deal with your puff back problems. This would ensure that the project will run smoothly and without any delays. If the puff back has caused any major damage to your house, it can render your house inhabitable. A contractor with good experience can work more efficiently and faster than contractors who are not experienced. Trustworthiness is also an important issue. You are entrusting him with your house and money so you must be able to determine if he will be worth it or not.
A restoration contractor will definitely have the ability to restore your puff back damaged property to its original state. You just have to be careful in choosing the right contractor. Choosing a contractor becomes easy when you follow the different guidelines mentioned above. Save your family from puff back problems today.